Travel Questions & Answers

Q1 - When should a GOV be used for TDY?
If the traveler is going on Temporary Duty Travel (TDY) or on local travel to a location that usually does not require airfare he/she is required to use a Government vehicle (GOV) if available. If the traveler uses a Privately owned vehicle (POV) and a GOV was available they will be reimbursed at a reduced rate in accordance with GSA Guidelines. If no GOV is available then the traveler can use a POV and will be reimbursed at the full mileage rate.
Q2 - When are lodging 'actuals' allowed?
When the Travel Management Center (TMC) is unable to find lodging in the TDY area, the employee is then allowed to claim lodging actuals. A justification form must be filled out and attached to the Travel Authorization (TA) before it is approved by management. This form will show the hotels in the area that were out of the GSA approved lodging rate and the rate each hotel was charging.

downloadJustification for Lodging Actuals.doc
Q3 - When should the traveler use a "cost comparison" form? Why have 2 forms?
If travel deviates from the direct route (normally flying) for the traveler’s personal convenience the traveler will be reimbursed mileage plus per diem; not to exceed the total constructive cost of the authorized method of common carrier transportation plus per diem When filing an authorization, the traveler must provide a cost comparison to show what is authorized versus the actual travel that is planned. EMCBC has two cost comparison forms available to the traveler; one is for flying vs. POV and the other is flying vs. rental car.

downloadCost Comparison Air vs Driving CY17 (xlsm)

downloadCost Comparison Air Travel vs Rental Car Travel CY17 (xls)
Q4 - What will I be reimbursed if I park my POV at the airport while I am on TDY?
You may be reimbursed for your parking fees as an allowable transportation expense not to exceed the cost of taxi fare to/from the airport. DOE REG. 301-10.308
Q5 - Can the traveler depart from and/or return from an alternate location other than his/her home and TDY location and how does it get entered into CGE?
The FTR (41 CFR 301-10.4) requires that authorizing officials ensure appropriate consideration of the most cost-effective routing and means of accomplishing travel. Also, the FTR stipulates that an employee traveling on official business is to exercise the same care in incurring expenses that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business. To these ends, and to accomplish official travel more economically, DOE has determined that travel may be routed through alternate places if there are cost advantages for doing so. 

  An "alternate place" is defined as any place other than the official duty station, place of abode, or place of TDY.  At the beginning of TDY travel, an employee directed to travel by the Department of Energy will be authorized to travel from an alternate place (as compared to the duty station or place of abode) to the TDY location only if the cost of such travel, including per diem or actual expense allowance and transportation expenses, is less than or equal to the cost of travel had it originated at either the official duty station or the place of abode.  In no instance will the government reimburse an employee for personal travel to an alternate location. At the conclusion of TDY travel, an employee directed to travel by the Department of Energy will be authorized to travel from an alternate place (as compared to the TDY location) to his official duty station or place of abode only if the cost of such travel, including per diem or actual expense allowance and transportation expenses, is less than or equal to the cost of travel had it originated at the TDY location.

The TA in CGE must show exact dates of travel and cities en route to TDY location.
Q6 - May a Federal employee transport their spouse or dependent family member in a Government vehicle en route for official business and/or while going on TDY?
A Government owned vehicle is for official use only. EMCBC has implemented a policy that restricts EMCBC employees from transporting family member in Government motor vehicles.
Q7 - May a federal employee with an authorized rental vehicle used for TDY, transport their spouse or dependent family member in the rental vehicle?
Yes, a federal employee may transport family members in an authorized rental vehicle while on TDY.
Q8 - I have been asked to go on a long term detail exceeding 30 days. What am I allowed to claim on my TA and how often do I submit a voucher?
When a travel assignment involves a stay in excess of 30 days at a TDY site and the traveler is able to arrange lodging and/or meals at lower costs, the per diem rate must be reduced accordingly by taking into account any reduced costs of lodging or meals. The rate should not be more than 55 percent of the applicable per diem rate for the locality. Payments above this level (not to exceed the maximum per diem rate) must be fully justified. When kitchen facilities are included in the rental cost, the meal portion of the reduced rate should be set at an amount less than the M&IE allowance, generally 30 percent of M&IE, If the employee does not have enough time before starting the assignment to obtain reduced lodging or to make inquiries, the lodgings plus per diem may be authorized for a short period (generally less than 30 days). An employee who is required to perform extended TDY in excess of 30 days may be authorized round-trip transportation expenses and per diem en route for periodic return travel to his or her official duty station or place of abode for nonworkdays. (CBC policy states that an employee on a detail is allowed one trip to his/her duty station once every 30 days). Vouchers should be submitted once every 30 days.
Q9 - How long do I have to keep my receipts and is there a dollar threshold for attaching receipts to the voucher?
Receipts must be retained for 6 years and 3 months as prescribed by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Receipts are required for lodging and airfare of any dollar amount and all other travel-related expenditures greater than $75 per single expense. (FTR304-52.4)
Q10 - How does DOE select the method of transportation to be used?
They select the method most advantageous to the Government, when cost and other factors are considered. The travel must be by the most expeditious means of transportation practicable and commensurate with the nature and purpose of the TDY. In addition management must consider energy conservation, total cost to the Government (including costs of per diem, overtime, lost work time, and actual transportation costs) and total distance traveled.
Q11 - Are travelers allowed to claim laundry while on TDY?
Travelers on TDY involving 4 or more consecutive nights of lodging may be reimbursed up to $5 for laundry, pressing, and dry cleaning for each night of official travel where lodging is claimed, not to exceed 30 calendar days for any TDY assignment. Reimbursement will be provided only for expenses incurred while on official travel, not for expenses incurred when the employee returns to his/her residence. Travelers on extended TDY in excess of 30 days will not be entitled to this allowance after the first 30 calendar days of the assignment.
Q12 - What will I be reimbursed if authorized to use a POV between my residence and office and then from my office to a common carrier terminal, or from my residence directly to a common carrier terminal?
If determined advantageous to the Government, you will be reimbursed on a mileage basis plus other allowable costs for round-trip travel on the beginning and/or ending of travel between the points involved. (FTR301-10.306)
Q13 - Are lodging facilities required to accept federal, state or local tax exempt certificates?
Exemptions from taxes for Federal travelers, and the forms required to claim them, vary from locations to location. The GSA SmartPay office provides more information regarding state tax exemptions at Attached are tax exempt forms most used by EMCBC employees (New York, California, Texas, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Florida)

Q14 - My TDY has been cancelled what expenses, if any do I enter into CGE?
If your ticket had been issued, then you will need to create a voucher for the TMC fee and TAV fee, removing all other expenses. If your ticket had not been issued then you just need to cancel the TA; no voucher would need to be created.
Q15 - I am going on TDY and plan on staying the weekend at my own expense. Can I keep the same rental car for TDY and personal use and just pro-rate the amount on my voucher?
The FTR states personal expenses not associated with official travel, but charged to the government issued travel charge card are prohibited and are not reimbursed by the Government (41 CFR 301-51.1). In addition, the FTR is very restrictive when it comes to using a rental vehicle for personal use (301-10.453) and states that employees are responsible for any additional costs resulting from the unauthorized use of a rental vehicle.

With that being said, if an employee intends to use the rental vehicle before/after TDY for personal use, at the time of rental, we would advise that the employee should inform the rental agency that a portion of the time for which the vehicle is rented is for personal travel, not official business.

With this information, the rental agency may charge a different rate for those days of personal use. There also may be additional insurance required for the personal use of the vehicle, as well as a personal credit card used for that portion of the rental.
Q16 - How do I know what dollar amount I should claim on my voucher for a cancelled non-refundable ticket? Do I claim the full ticket amount and TMC fee that was listed on my itinerary from AdTrav?
What happens to the $150 change/cancellation fee?
If it is determined by the approving official that the cost of the non-refundable ticket is the burden of the agency, the traveler should claim the entire cost of the ticket and TMC fee on his voucher. The change/cancellation fee is not claimed on the voucher. Example: The ticket cost $200, the airline charges $150 as a fee for change/cancellation. The balance of the ticket ($200-$150=$50) is set up as a credit and can only be used by that traveler on another trip with the same airline within a year. AdTrav tracks the credit amounts in RezProfiler and applies the credit to future reservations.

Q1 - My lodging and M&IE rates don't look correct. What happened and do I need to fix it?


1. Click the Expenses tab.Expenses Tab

WARNING!! DO NOT delete M&IE expenses or or check On Leave.

2. Adjust Lodging in accord with situation condition as follows:

Situation Steps
No Lodging

 Delete Lodging expense.

Under Per Diem
  1. Click Edit Icon beside Lodging.
  2. In Cost, type the specific amount.
  3. Click Save.
Over Per Diem
  1. Click Edit Icon beside Lodging.
  2. Click on Show Per Diem Conditions.
  3. Click Actual Lodging.
  4. In Cost, type the specific amount.
  5. Click Save.

To copy edits to lodging and M&IE amounts to future dates, designate the last date to apply conditions in Copy Per Diem Conditions Through.

3. Adjust M&IE in accord with appropriate situation as follows:

Situation Steps
  1. Click Edit Icon beside M&IE.
  2. In Cost, type zero.
  3. Click on Show Per Diem Conditions.
  4. Click M&IE Override.
  5. Click Override by Amt.
  6. Click Save.

Zero M&IE

Over or Under
M&IE Per Diem Rate
  1. Click Edit Icon beside M&IE.
  2. In Cost, type specific amount.
  3. Click on Show Per Diem Conditions.
  4. Click M&IE Override.
  5. Click Override by Amt.
  6. In Amount, type specific amount again.
  7. Click Save.

M&IE Adjusted

Meals Provided
  1. Click Edit Icon beside M&IE.
  2. In Cost, type zero.
  3. Click on Show Per Diem Conditions.
  4. Click Meals Provided.
  5. Check specific meals.
  6. Click Save.

Meals Provided

To copy edits to lodging and M&IE amounts to future dates, designate the last date to apply conditions in Copy Per Diem Conditions Through.

How Lodging and M&IE Adjusts When a TDY Location is Changed

When a per diem location is changed and saved in the itinerary, CGE updates Lodging & M&IE as follows:

  • If the M&IE rate is less for the new location, CGE will add a M&IE Owed by Traveler expense.
    M&IE Owed by Traveler
    This lowers M&IE to be reimbursed for the day from $45.75 to $34.50.

  • If the M&IE rate is higher for the new location, CGE will add a M&IE Due Traveler expense.
    M&IE Due Traveler
    This raises M&IE to be reimbursed for the day from $61 to $71.

  • If the Lodging rate is less for the new location, CGE will add a Lodging Owed by Traveler expense.
    Lodging Owed by Traveler
    This lowers Lodging to be reimbursed for the day from $104 to $83.

  • EXCEPTION If the Lodging rate is higher for the new location, CGE does NOT correct the lodging to the higher rate. To manually correct lodging, use the following procedure:

    1. For the first date of Lodging, click on the Edit Icon.

    2. In Copy Per Diem Conditions Through, enter the last day that lodging rate will apply.

    3. Change Cost to the Lodging Per Diem Rate listed at the bottom of the Expense Details.
      Lodging Expense Details

    4. Click Save.

      NOTE: If the lodging cost cannot be edited, create a Lodging Fix expense for difference. A positive amount if allowable per diem is higher or a negative number if per diem is less.

Reservations by Phone Sets Location to ALL PLACES NOT LISTED

When reservations are booked by phone, authorizations are created as follows:

    • Per diem location set to ALL PLACES NOT LISTED.
    • Document Information is removed.
    • Lodging & M&IE is set to the domestic standard rate (83/46).

NOTE: Sometimes, an authorization resets to the above when reservations are changed.

To correct these issues, use the following procedure:

  1. Open the authorization.

  2. Click on the General tab.

  3. In the Document Information...

    1. Designate Type Code and Purpose.
      Document Information

  4. Click on the Trip Information tab.

    1. In the Itinerary Location box, type the city name .
      Search Per Diem Location

    2. Click Search.

    3. Select the destination city.

    4. On the top right, check Reset Per Diem Conditions.
      Save Per Diem Location Changes

    5. Click Save Changes.

  5. Manually correct lodging and M&IE costs.
Q2 - How do I adjust daily costs for lodging and M&IE?

Document Status Stamps

Stamp Definition & Status

Document is electronically signed by all required routing officials.

This stamp is required for ticketing air and rail reservations. If an authorization is stamped REJECT, it does not affect ticketing.


Funds are obligated in STARS for travel.

At this status, the authorization can be amended.

PENDING Document data in process of uploading data to STARS.

At this staus, documents are edit-locked.

An issue in the document data requires requires intervention from the EFASC Travel Services Team to manually import into STARS.

This status stamp does NOT affect approval for ticketing.

Please allow 3-5 working days to resolve. If has been more than 5 working days since the document was stamped APPROVED.

Q3 - How do I add descriptions to CGE?

Reservation and authorization descriptions can only be added after reservations are booked online on the Trip Booking Information page.
Q4 - How do I attach receipts to a document?

  1. Open the document.
  2. On the Summary tab, scroll to the bottom of the page.
    Attach Receipts
  3. To upload a PDF receipts file, click Attach Receipt Images.
    To fax receipts, click Print Fax Cover Page.

To view the attached receipts, click View Receipts.

Q5 - How do I activate e-receipts?

Drowning in Paper Receipts

GO Green...
   and do a lot less scanning and faxing back at the office.

  1. On the left panel under My Profile/Other Settings, click on E-Receipt Activation.
  2. Click E-Receipt Activation again.
  3. Read the E-Receipt Activation and Use Agreement.
  4. Click I Accept.

Q6 - How do I voucher for fees incurred for a cancelled trip?

  1. Create the voucher from authorization.

  2. Change the trip date to 1 day - less than 12 hours.

    1. In the voucher, click the General tab.
    2. Click Trip Information.
    3. If there are multiple locations, delete all but the first location.
    4. On the remaining location, change the Departure date to the same as the Arrival Date.
    5. Click Save Changes.
    6. Change Trip Duration to 12 hours or Less.
    7. Click Save Changes, again.

  3. Click the Expenses tab.

  4. In the Delete column, check expenses to delete.

  5. Click Delete Selected Expenses.

  6. Verify fees incurred are listed in Expenses.

  7. Submit voucher as normal for reimbursement.

Q7 - When I click on Print, CGE does not give me the complete document to print. What's wrong and how do I fix it?

This is a known CGE printing issue. Most of the time, it occurs anytime there is an apostrophe anywhere in the traveler profile, the travel document, or the reservations details. If the apostrophe can be removed, remove the apostrophe from the document. However, an apostrophe can't be found or can't be removed

If the apostrophe can't be found or removed, use the following workaround:

  1. Click on the Review icon Review Icon on the Authorizations list.
  2. In the pop-up window, select the whole page.
  3. Copy and paste all the page text into MS Word.

Q8 - What does each of the status stamps mean?

Document Status Stamps

Stamp Definition & Status

Document is electronically signed by all required routing officials.

This stamp is required for ticketing air and rail reservations. If an authorization is stamped REJECT, it does not affect ticketing.


Funds are obligated in STARS for travel.

At this status, the authorization can be amended.

PENDING Document data in process of uploading data to STARS.

At this staus, documents are edit-locked.

An issue in the document data requires requires intervention from the EFASC Travel Services Team to manually import into STARS.

This status stamp does NOT affect approval for ticketing.

Please allow 3-5 working days to resolve. If has been more than 5 working days since the document was stamped APPROVED.

Q9 - How do I stamp my document SIGNED?

1.Click on the Confirmation tab.
2.Change the Status to Apply to SIGNED. Status to Apply to SIGNED
3.Click on Stamp and Submit Document.
4.Review the Pre-Audit List.
WARNING: Do not continue stamping if there are is a HARDFAIL. To fix Purpose and Type Codes, click here. For assistance with other HARDFAILs, email
5.Click Justify Pre-Audit Results for Pre-Audit FAILS.
6.Click Save Justifications.
NOTE: After justifications are saved, the Pre-Audit Status does not change to PASS.
7.Click Continue Stamping the Document.
8.CGE will do a funds check.
If there are no issues, click Close Funding.
9.On the Post Stamping, note approving officials and status stamps.
10.Click Close Post Stamping Document Closure Screen.
Q10 - How do I review and stamp documents awaiting my approval?

Route & Review Documents

Home > Route & Review Document

To review and stamp a document awaiting your approval, use the following procedure:

  1. Login to CGE.

  2. Click on the Approvals tab.

  3. Click View Document to review document details.

  4. To stamp and route the document, click stamp under Action.

  5. Note the Awaiting Status column. This indicates the stamp the official will apply.
    Awaiting Status Column

  6. Click Preaudit & Stamp Selected Doc.

  7. Review Pre-Audit Results.

  8. Click Continue Signing Document.

  9. DO NOT change Status to Apply.
    Awaited Status

  10. Click Stamped Selected Document.

  11. Click Close Stamping Log.

NOTE: Currently, CGE does NOW have a way to view completed documents.  However, it's on CGE's list of enhancements to implement later.  The workaround for viewing completed documents is granting group access to pull up documents by employee.

Q11 - My authorization says FUNDS OBLIGATED, but when I go to create a voucher from the authorization, my authorization isn't available?

To create a voucher from authorization, the authorization must be stamped APPROVED and FUNDS OBLIGATED. If an authorization has been stamped CANCELLED or the reservations embedded in the authorization were cancelled, the FUNDS OBLIGATED authorization is invalid. 1.To check the status of FUNDS OBLIGATED authorization, use the following procedure: 2.Open the authorization in View Only mode. 3.Click on the Confirmation tab. 4.Review the Full Document History.

If the authorization was cancelled manually, a CANCEL stamp will list with a users name. If the reservations were cancelled, the action will be listed as follows:

Full Document History Date/Time Status Name Remarks ... ... ... ... 02/07/2014 RESERVATIONS UPDATED Travel Auto Update Travel reservation has been cancelled for: 1000063661 ... ... ... ...

To process documents for reimbursement, a new authorization needs to be created.

If the invalid authorization contains the RESERVATION UPDATE - Travel reservation has been cancelled stamp, that authorization needs to be amended and stamped CANCEL before the new authorization can be stamped SIGNED.
Q12 - My authorization was stamped REJECT, what do I do next?

After an authorization is stamped APPROVED, it is edit-locked in PENDING status for 2-3 working days. If there are no interface issues with STARS, the authorization will be stamped FUNDS OBLIGATED when processing is completed.

If an authorization is stamped REJECT instead of FUNDS OBLIGATED, there is an issue in the document data which requires intervention from the EFASC Travel Services Team to manually import into STARS.

The REJECT stamp does NOT affect the approval status for taking the trip or for air/rail ticketing.

Please allow 3-5 working days to resolve. If has been more than 5 working days since the document was stamped APPROVED, please email: the traveler’s name, travel date, and TA Num.
Q13 - How do I book reservations ONLINE in CGE?

Online Booking in CGE

  1. Click on the Travel.
    Start Online Booking on the Travel Tab

  2. Indicate to which authorization to import reservations after booking.

    1. To import reservations to an new authorization after booking, click...
      New Authorization from Travel
    2. To add reservations to an existing authorization, click...
      Add Travel to an Existing Authorization

  3. Complete the search criteria.
    On the Air/Rail tab, check Pick-up/Drop-off car at airport and/or Find Hotel if required.

  4. Click Search to begin browsing reservation options.
  1. After selecting reservations, click Next until the Trip Booking Information page.
    Trip Booking Information

  2. To HOLD the reservation...

    1. Note theHold this reservation until date.
    2. Click Hold Trip.

  3. To CREATE an authorization with selected reservations...

    1. Enter a more descriptive Trip Name or accept the default.
    2. Select a Trip Purpose.
      Required Trip Info Fields
    3. Click Next.

  4. At the Trip Confirmation page, review all reservation details.

  5. At the bottom of the page, click Confirm Booking to generate the authorization.
    • If changes are required, click Display Trip.
    • If Travel Rule Violation box opens, choose the reason for selecting the travel option.

  6. In the authorization on the Summary page, click Next.

  7. On the Document Information form, select Type Code and enter Document Description.
    Document Information

  8. Click on the Next.

  9. Continue to add expenses and complete authorization.
    Document Prepartation Tips

Q14 - Why doesn't CGE list all hotels which have rooms with GSA per diem rates?

CGE lists GSA per diem rates by offered through the Fedrooms program. However, if a hotel doesn't participate in this program, GSA per diem rates the hotel DOES offer may not be listed in CGE. If you suspect this is the case, please call the hotel directly to book rooms for official travel.

FYI: In general, Marriott does not participate in the Fedroom program. However, many of their hotels offer rates at or close to GSA per diem rates. To get those rates, reservations must be booked with Marriott directly.
Q15 - How do I book reservations by PHONE added to an authorization?

Booking by Phone

  1. Call your DOE Travel Agency.


    Available 24 Hours


    6:00 am - 9:00 pm CST

    After Hours


    Available 24 Hours

  2. Clarify you are a CGE user.

  3. Book reservations.
    Your DOE Travel Agency will create an authorization in CGE with your reservation details and costs.

  4. Login to CGE.

  5. Click on Authorizations/View Authorizations.

  6. Open the authorization for the departure date of your booked reservations.

  7. Complete trip itinerary information, add other anticipated travel expenses, and submit authorization for approval.

Change Reservations

It's best to change reservations in the same way original reservations were booked. If reservations were booked by phone, make changes by phone. If reservations were booked in CGE, make the changes in CGE.


  • Use your Agency Record Locator number to initiate reservation changes by phone.

  • Your travel agent will automatically update your itinerary in CGE and if the departure date is not within 5 working days of departure and still in created status, details in your authorization will also be updated.

Where is the Agency Record Locator?

It's listed in the Trip Overview of the itinerary and is in parenthesis in the Subject line of the itinerary emails.


  1. Open the authorization.

  2. Click View/Change Reservations.

  3. Click on the Travel Itinerary tab.

  4. Scroll to bottom of the itinerary.

  5. Click Change Trip

NOTE: To change any portion of an air reservation, the original air reservations need to be cancelled before new reservations are booked.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All reservations changed within 10 days of departure are NOT reflected in the authorization under Reservation Details on the Summary tab. Changes this close to departure will only be refected in the Trip Itinerary.

Cancel Trip with No Fees Incurred

  1. Cancel Trip Reservations.

    1. Go to Travel > Upcoming Trips.
      Travel > Upcoming Trips

    2. Click on Cancel Trip.

  2. Delete or stamp the authorization CANCELLED.

    1. Go to Authorizations.
    2. If Delete Icon exists, click on the Red X.

    3. If X is gray, open the authorization in edit mode and stamp it CANCELLED.

Voucher for Fees Incurred on a Cancelled Trip

Q16 - I booked reservations by phone, but the expenses were not added to my authorization. How do I add my reservations to my authorization?

Click on the Home tab and complete the following:
1.Under I Want To, click Create an authorization from an Agent-booked trip.
2.At Record locator to import , enter your reservation locator number.

3.Click Submit.

Q1 - Why do we have to use our Travel Management Center (TMC) to rent a car? What are refueling charges? What class of rental car is the traveler allowed to use while on TDY?
Government insurance is already included in the price of the rental car when the reservation is made thru the TMC. Travelers will not be reimbursed for insurance fee. Normally the cost of fuel purchased from the car rental agency is substantially greater than the normal price of fuel purchased from a gas station. Travelers who do not fill the gas tank of the rented vehicle before returning it will be reimbursed only the cost of fuel at the prevailing price at the TDY location. Travelers who choose the pre-purchase fuel option at the beginning of the rental will be reimbursed the full cost of that option. A traveler will be reimbursed only up to the cost of a midsize/intermediate vehicle. Full-size vehicles, station wagons, minivans, or sport utility vehicles will not be authorized, or the incremental costs will not be reimbursed, unless the vehicle is shared by no fewer than three other Federal travelers or the traveler is transporting Government equipment that justifies the need for additional carrying space or for safety reasons in adverse weather. Free upgrades may be accepted by the traveler.
Q2 - Do we have to use our TMC for our airline ticket and hotel if we can find one online at a cheaper cost?
DOE301-75.200 - Transportation tickets (using appropriate contract carriers) may be obtained only from an authorized Department source (through a travel management center under contract to the Government). DOE301-11.11 – All lodging reservations must be made thru your agency TMC. (If there is a specific hotel that you want to stay at while on TDY, let your TMC know when making your reservation).
Q3 - When considering the use of a non-refundable ticket for my TDY, where do I start and what do I need to attach to the TA to show the quoted costs?
Before calling AdTrav the traveler could go to to check contractor fares, city pairs and flight schedules. Then the traveler would call AdTrav with possible flights and times. AdTrav will provide the contract carrier information and offer the lowest government contract carrier airfare, if this is too high, the traveler should then ask if a lower airfare is available including non-refundable airfares. The agent will assist once asked to help find the lowest airfare whether or not it is refundable or non-refundable. Based on the official travel requirements, TDY to point of business return to TDY, dates and times, the agents can help. What they cannot provide accurately is future travel quotes for non-refundable airfares. They can provide future travel government contract airfares because these are contractual but non-refundable airfares change minute to minute so quoting today for future travel utilizing non-refundable airfares will provide an inaccurate fare. AdTrav's phone number is 800-874-5404.

The traveler should ask the travel agent to send them by email the quotes and attach those to the TA before it is approved. Also the cost of the refundable and non-refundable tickets must be added to the TA under other auths.
Q4 - Do I have to use the contract carrier? What if it will not get me to my destination in a timely manner?
Each travel scenario is unique. The organization's management has the responsibility to balance its mission requirements against the savings from a non-refundable/non-contract fare when comparing the times/dates and prices for those fares. There are only a few reasons that are acceptable thru GSA (see reasons below) and they are listed under If you use one of these reasons for not using the contract carrier the justification must be added to the TA under “other auths” before is it submitted.

C0. Contract fare does not exist.
C1. Scheduled contract fare flights are either (1) not available to meet mission requirements or (2) would require unnecessary overnight lodging costs which would increase the cost of the trip - supporting documentation must be electronically attached in CGE.
C2. Use of scheduled contract fares flights conflicts with DOE policy to schedule travel during the days and hours of an employee's regularly scheduled workweek to the maximum extent feasible (DOE M 552.1-1A, DOE301-2.6).
C3. Non-contract carrier offers a lower fare to the general public (does not apply if the non-contract fare is restricted to Government or military travelers and may only be purchased with a government issued travel card).
C4. Rail service is available and cost effective.
C5. Contract fare is sold out.

downloadPolicy Guidance
Q5 - I am a frequent traveler but might have to change my ticket several times due to my busy schedule. Should I still book a non-refundable ticket?
Just because you are frequent flyer does not mean that you automatically have to purchase a non-refundable ticket. You have to look at each situation to see if a non-refundable ticket is best suited for this TDY. You might find that there is no cost savings with this type of frequent traveler.
Q6 - What has changed with in the City Pair contract for FY13?
The General Services Administration (GSA) has implemented a significant change in the City Pair Contract for fiscal year 2013 that will impact all federal employees who travel. Starting October 1, 2012, all domestic city pair reservations that are not ticketed 48 hours (2 days) prior to departure are subject to automatic cancellation by the airlines.

download48 Hour Auto Cancellation FAQ v4.pdf
Q7 - TSA Secure Flight rules require that my name (on my airline ticket) matches my travel ID. I need to update my profile in RezProfiler. What is their website and what other information is needed?
You log into RezProfiler by going to
Your logon is your email address.
If you don't remember your password click on "forgot your password" to get help.
After you are logged in go to My Profile.
You must enter your name into the system the same way that it reads on your driver's license.

You will see listed seven tabs.
The first 5 tabs need to be filled out or updated (the other two are optional):

-Under the "account questions" tab the question is what is my routing symbol and the answer is DOEOH. The PIN# is 1111
-Under the "payment options" tab you enter your government issued credit card # and expiration date
-Under the "government requirements" tab you enter your passport information, if applicable
-Under the "travel preferences" tab you enter your seating preference, your rental car and hotel preferences
-Under the "emergency contacts" tab enter all that apply - including admin if applicable

Q8 - I had to cancel my TDY and had purchased a non-refundable ticket. I now have a credit. How do know if I can use a refundable or non-refundable ticket when using the credit?
Your credit can be applied to either a refundable or non-refundable airfare for the ticket exchange. What is important to note is the new ticket will be a non-refundable ticket even if the new fare is a refundable airfare and you must use the same carrier as on the original ticket. Credits expire after one year. By going to and logging in you will see the Welcome screen. On the far left is a list of items that AdTrav has posted for your convenience; one of them being My unused tickets. If you have any questions you can contact them at the number on their screen.


Q1 - How do I pay my travel card bill online?
Travelers can pay their JPMorgan Chase travel card bill online using PaymentNet provided the traveler has been authorized access to their account in PaymentNet. A traveler may request Internet access to view and/or pay their JPMorgan Chase travel charge card account online by contacting the EMCBC Travel Card Coordinator, Ericka French, at 513-246-0506 or

To complete an online payment, travelers must go to and enter Organization ID (DOE0002):

    1. Select the My Profile icon
    2. Select the Bank Information tab
    3. Click Add Bank
    4. Enter the following fields:
    • ABA Routing Number
    • Bank Account Type
    • Bank Account Number
    • Description
    5. Click Save.
MAKE A PAYMENT by phone at 1-888-297-0781 or online by following the below steps:
    1. Choose Payments > Create
    2. On the Payment Detail screen, select the Account Number for which you are making the payment
    3. If more than one bank is set up, select the Bank Description from the drop-down list
    4. Enter the Payment Amount
    5. Enter the Payment Date (MM/DD/YYYY format)
    6. Click Submit. A dialog box appears verifying payment information. Click OK to continue with the payment
Q2 - How do I dispute a charge on my travel card, and does this stop the payment clock from ticking?
If there are charges on your billing statement that you do not recognize, call the merchant first and ask for clarification. If you are not able to resolve the disputed charge with the merchant, contact a JPMorgan Chase customer service representative so you can complete and submit a dispute form. The bank can be contacted using the toll free number on the back of your travel card. Once the completed dispute form has been received by the bank, delinquency of the disputed amount will be held in abeyance until the matter is resolved. Reporting a disputed charge in a timely manner will stop the payment clock from ticking and mean that you are only responsible for payment on all other undisputed charges on or before the billing due date.
Contact JP Morgan Chase at 1-888-297-0781